Sep 5, 2010

Accessibility

This exercise allowed me to fire up my old Galaga machine for some play time.

The controls on this classic arcade game were left and right using a joystick for basic movement and a big red button to fire. The simplistic nature of the controls and the overall ease of use made it very easy to master. I played the game for some time warming up, then I got a stool and sat at the game and played for ten minutes with my feet. I did not get as far in this manor but I was able to play the game for the full time.
Blowing the dust off of the top of the machine I located the recessed button that turns the monitor on and off on the cabinet, needless to say I did not get very far playing blind. If the joystick had the ability to allow some kind of audible feedback or vibration to allow the play to know when a ship was in view or when a missile was heading at you the game could be playable with impaired vision.
The next challenge was to beat my neighbor with one hand tied behind my back. This was done with some difficulty but using my left hand I sat on the stool controlling the joystick and with my right bare foot I pressed the fire button. The easy remedy to this would have been to place the fire button on the joystick for an easy one handed operation of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment