Sep 26, 2010

Module Ten: Chapter Five Book Work

Module Ten: Chapter Five Book Work

Grand Theft Auto IV

Sandbox

I have always like the term Sandbox to describe the type of game where you have the feeling of freedom to explore or exploit the gaming environment. To me a non linear "sandbox" is the best way to create a game with RPG elements and a feeling of emersion. Triggers placed in the game will set into play events or actions that will effect the sandbox experience either adding to or taking away from the players enjoyment. In my original game I would have to start with dynamic world, one that lives through actions and cycles even if the player doesn't interact. If the player aids or hinders these actions the play environment would change. This would start with a large play area/areas, to me Sandbox means Non-Linear, this may not mean the same to all but I do not see how a linear Sandbox could work, in my eyes its an oxymoron and a waste of resources and time to try to create this type of mechanic. I can see the need for game "paths" visible or invisible interactions that pushes the player in certain a direction in the form of quests or story. The end result may be some sort of character cap, in level or the end of a main story line, but the replay element would be there as you could play it a different way each time you loaded it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment